Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Brown Sugar Body Scrub Recipe

A Basket of "Goodies" - Handmade Brown Sugar Body Scrub
If this blog were titled Fun With Adult ADD it would be a pretty accurate title description and not at all disrespectful.  Those of us with add/adhd are allowed to have a little fun with it.  Which brings me to my point.  I realize I have yet to make a single loaf of bread yet this week - though I've been working on it and talking about it enough.  I have kind of temporarily moved on to a new project however: Homemade bath scrubs.

I decided I needed to make a little treat for my fabulous co-workers for Halloween.  I wanted this treat to be seasonal, fun, and homemade yet I didn't want it to be too caloric. (So yes, the Paula Dean's Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Butter Cake was out of the question.  I'll save that for another time.)

While I was searching for non-caloric versions of fall-themed treats (they don't exist) I came across some recipes for Brown Sugar Bath Scrubs and decided that would just about fit the ticket.   I couldn't decide which recipe to use- they all looked so yummy -  and was too impatient to try a few in order to find the best one so I decided to just buy all the ingredients from each and throw a little bit of this and a little bit of that in till I had it right.


All the ingredients from ALL of the recipes!

My Brown Sugar Scrub all mixed up. I had to use a stew pot because my largest glass mixing bowl wasn't big enough. 
Here is the recipe I came up with:

Brown Sugar Body Scrub

3  2 pound bags dark brown sugar
3  cups white granulated sugar
1  cup honey
4  cups coconut oil (I used refined because it doesn't have a coconut odor)
2  cups safflower oil
4  Tablespoons vitamin E oil
4  teaspoons ground cloves
2  teaspoons ground ginger
3  heaping Tablespoons cinnamon
2  Tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cup kosher salt (I think this was a mistake - too gritty)


Mix it all together.  I was able to fill 14 half-pint containers and had LOTS left over.  Probably enough for another 6-7.

I cut circles out of really cute halloween/fall scrapbooking paper (a left-over from my past card-making obsession.)

I added hand-written labels that I found in the same section as the Mason Jars.  I was going to print some cute ones on the computer but honestly I think the the hand-written look adds a nice touch.



Oh and did I mention this is really yummy if you accidentally ingest some?  Disclaimer: You really are suppose to use this product on your body - it should not be considered a food product.  And don't even ask me how I know how yummy this is because I'll only deny it... but used that way it is NOT non-caloric in the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment