Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cricut Recipe Cards - Or What is the Point of an Obsession?

Look what I used to do: 
Chicken Tortilla Soup - Cricut Style!

I spent countless hours making gorgeous recipe cards with my Cricut Cutting Machine. I have to tell you, these consumed all of my free time and "free" money (haha right?)!  What did I do with these recipes?  Never look at them again - that's what! It's not like I'm going to risk ruining that beautiful recipe with kitchen spills; so they were just packed away with all of my other scrapbooking "stuff". I was reminded of them when I was unpacking a box of scrapbook paper I had moved to my new house and ran across a few.

Why did I make them?  Sometimes I would enter them into recipe scrapbook contests - which I sometimes won.  Sometimes I would join a scrapbook-style recipe swap.   A recipe swap is when you get together with say 12 people and everyone makes a different scrapbook-style recipe card 12 TIMES! After that you distribute one to everyone so at the end you have 12 different recipes and only had to make one (12 times of course).  But I NEVER used them to actually cook with.
My recipe swap card for banana cookies.  

The truth is, I didn't always enjoy the recipe cards I got in return.  They may not have been recipes I would ever want to try and I KNEW how time consuming it was for somebody to make them- so I just tucked them away too.  What finally broke me of my scrapbook-style recipe addiction was when I joined an ABC cupcake themed swap.  This was back a few years ago when cupcakes were all the rage.  Do you know how many letters there are in the alphabet?  That's right - I had to make 26 copies of my recipe card.  Not only that but I signed up to do not one but three different letters!  So yeah, you do the math - that's 78 of those suckers.  Speaking of sucker….I was a big one because the woman running the swap flaked out on it and most of us never got our recipes.  Such a waste of time and money.  And fortunately for me the end of my scrapbook-style recipe card swapping obsession.


Enjoy a few more crazy time-wasting recipe cards I made!
A close up of my Banana Cookies recipe card.  This is probably my favorite one that I did.

Clam Chowder - do you get the ocean theme?



No comments:

Post a Comment